137 days + 2,000,000 people + 30,000 km
Peregrination of Our Lady of Czestochowa "From Ocean to Ocean"
Across the World in Defense of Life
Up to date, as of October 19, 2012, the Icon has already travelled over 30 thousand kilometers in 137 days. The Icon has been met by nearly 2,000,000 people. Large crowds of people – Orthodox, as well as Catholics – have been greeting Our Lady on Her scheduled route, giving their unwavering witness of faith and their active involvement in the defense of life.
Since June 15, when this historic and unprecedented pilgrimage began in Vladivostok, the following countries have already welcomed Our Lady's Icon on Her journey: Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Austria, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland. Currently, the Icon is visiting Germany. This fall, the Icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa will be visiting the following countries: Belgium, Great Britain, Ireland, France, and Spain. Our Lady will arrive in Fatima, Portugal just in time for Christmas.
Next year, at the beginning of March 2013, the VII World Congress of Prayer for Life will commence a continuation of Our Lady's journey in defense of life across the world. The Icon will be peregrinating throughout Canada and the United States of America, beginning in May of 2013.
A few highlights of the peregrination in progress:
- The Icon stopped at the Pacific Ocean in Vladivostok;
- Our Lady rode in a motorboat along the greatest Siberian River, Yenisei, blessing the city of Krasnoyarsk on the way;
- Our Lady's Icon participated in a pro-life ride in the streets of Moscow;
- Our Lady was venerated at the Church of St. Therese near the Gate of Dawn in Vilnius;
- The Icon was touched to the tomb of Bl. Fr. Jerzy Popieluszko;
- The Czech Bishop František Lobkovic from Ostrava apologized to Our Blessed Mother, "that our ancestors – the Hussites – have wounded You so";
- In Prague, due to the peregrination of the Icon, the Relics of St. Luke were extracted from the Treasury of St. Vitus;
- The Icon participated in the VI World Congress of Prayer for Life in Vienna;
- On the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, the Icon visited the Church of Our Lady of Victory in Vienna, which was built to honor the memory of the Victory at Lepanto.
The peregrination "From Ocean to Ocean" is an initiative of the lay leaders of the pro-life movement from 25 countries. At their request, the bishops in subsequent countries are giving this effort their blessing. The Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church have both been supportive of this peregrination. The Icon of Czestochowa has been travelling the world in the intention for the protection of life since January 28, 2012, when a copy of the True Icon designated for this undertaking had been touched to the original Icon, and blessed at Jasna Gora.
More information on the website: www.fromoceantoocean.org
International Organizational Committee
European Coordinator of Peregrination