Our Blessed Mother arrived at the capital of Germany – Berlin – in the evening, on October 30, and stopped in the very center of the city, at the Archbishop's Cathedral of St. Hedwig. It is interesting to note here that this church was consecrated in the year 1747 by the Archbishop of Gniezno (Poland), the Most Reverend Ignatius Krasicki - known for his great poetry.
The Berlin Cathedral is the home to the tomb of Blessed Bernhard Lichtenberg, its parish priest from the years 1938-1942, who was a defender of the Jews and was arrested by the Nazis, dying on the way to the concentration camp in Dachau.
Upon arrival at the Cathedral of St. Hedwig and the welcoming of the Icon, a solemn Liturgy of the Holy Mass was celebrated. The meeting at the Berlin Cathedral took place in the upper church within a very warm atmosphere. The main celebrant was Canon Horus. The prayer of the Holy Rosary followed after the conclusion of the Mass.
Georg Fleischmann, the coordinator of the pilgrimage in Germany, writes: As we have experienced numerous times already, a great power of attraction lies in the Icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa, awakening great trust in the faithful, which applies to everyone, - not just the Poles.
Unfortunately, also in Berlin, as well as in the previous German towns, there was no opportunity to present the Icon of Our Lady in the "Life Mobile," since after the accident in Fulda, the Life Mobile was dropped off for reconstruction and we had to wait for the completion of the repairs.
In the evening, the Icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa travelled to the Polish Mission in Berlin – the Basilica of St. John.