There is a vibrant growing Hispanic and Filipino population St. Peter Chanel Church in Hawaiian Gardens, CA, church staffed by the Oblates of the Virgin Mary. Fr. Larry Darnell and Fr. Ed Broom greeted us upon our arrival on August 11 and Fr. West gave the homily during a noon day Mass he concelebrated with Fr. Broom that was well attended with over 200 people.
When our entourage traveled through Southern California, Long Beach’s Church of the Holy Innocents was our first stop on August 9. We brought the Pilgrim Icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa to Family Planning Associates Medical Group and Planned Parenthood for a prayer vigil with approximately 100 pro-life faithful. It never ceases to amaze me the power of our dedicated pro-lifers.
The short drive to St. Joseph’s Church resulted in another successful turnout of pro-life parishioners who showed immense devotion to Our Lady of Czestochowa. I concelebrated the evening Mass with Father Mark Wagner, spoke about the historic pro-life Ocean to Ocean campaign, led the Rosary, and provided ample time for veneration afterwards.
After Sonora in nearby Modesto, it seemed only natural that we visit Gifts of Faith, a store selling religious goods and icons to support Mary Mother of God Mission Society. The society’s mission is to revive the Catholic faith in Eastern Russia and support the consecrated religious who work in Vladivostok, Russia -- the place where the Pilgrim Icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa started her historic world pilgrimage in 2012.
After departing Madera, on August 4 the Black Madonna traveled to St. Susanna Orthodox Church in Sonora, an arid area of California suffering from a long-term drought. Pulling into the driveway, Father Andrew Jacobs, Deacon Elias Union and Subdeacon Nicholas Teshin welcomed us with warm enthusiasm in anticipation of the Akathist to the Mother of God.
- Pro-life Work Flourishes in Central California as Black Madonna Brings Focus to Dignity of Life, Marriage, and Family
- Visiting a city named after the Blessed Sacrament
- Our Lady continuing the journey through Northern California
- Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral celebrates Mother of God
- Black Madonna Saved from Fire; Pilgrim Icon Increases Faith and Devotion of Northern California Catholics
- Pilgrim Icon Visits Portland’s Grotto for Spiritual Contemplation and Marian Devotion
- The Black Madonna Returns to Washington State
- Devoted Canadians Warmly Receive the Black Madonna in Vancouver
- Pilgrim Icon Strengthens Pro-Life Efforts in Washington State
- Three times around the world – The Icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa on an ocean shore again.